Wednesday, September 25, 2013

On September 24, 2013 the Sedona City Council had an open discussion on whether to pass an ordinance allowing Civil Unions.  I spoke very briefly, but set a positive tone for the comments that followed.  The ordinance, although mostly symbolic, since the State of Arizona doesn't allow (yet) same-gender marriage, was passed 5 - 2. Of the many statements I have made in my 10 years as a rabbi, this might have been the most important.  
 
 
(I think that it was more my presence that “spoke” than my actual short words presented to the City Council of Sedona, AZ)
 
 
Civil Union – talking points to City Council September 24, 2013
 
Honorable Mayor Rob Adams, Esteemed Council Members,
 
As member of clergy I believe that in the sight of God we are equal, and no one should suffer because their partnership is not recognized and protected by law.
 
It is exciting that the city of Sedona is considering this ordinance which will set an example for other businesses locally and other cities. It will empower partners of same gender couples to be recognized, respected, and protected.  It will guarantee natural rights of committed, loving partners to be assured of health care visitations, spousal employee benefits, and would reduce possible extended family clashes over such rights.
 
I hope that the leadership of Sedona will let their spark of clear headed thinking shine brightly in not only passing this ordinance, but widely publicizing its benefits to encourage other governing bodies to follow suit.     We shouldn’t lag behind but rather be in the forefront of doing what is correct and compassionate!
 
 Thank you for listening with your head and heart.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you Rabbi Alicia. I arrived just moments before your speech. It was so profound, I wanted to see the words myself and mull them over. The mayor specifically thanked you, as a cleric, for enlightening him on why. (Comments to the public are not allowed, so he was breaking tradition to call you out so gratefully.)

    Someone reminded me this morning, from a New Testament tradition, that when Jesus left the earth, he said, "I have much more to share with you but you cannot bear it now." Many religionists are stuck in 3000 BCE or 100 ACE. I feel sorry they are unwilling to evolve into ever-increasing light and thus suffer, cramped in a small box.

    And while I have the floor, blessings and gratitude for all the lively joy you bring to our community.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was able to be present for this historical event -- your words were profound and touching. You rock, Rabbi!

    ReplyDelete