Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Silent Rabbi

New experience.  After returning from a very inspiring college reunion at Sarah Lawrence College, in Bronxville, NY, and visiting our daughter Tali in Brooklyn, I totally lost my voice, due to the changes in temperature and strong air conditioning in the plane and shuttle.  So... what to do?

I planned a Friday night service at our synagogue in Sedona, and gave out parts to sing, chant, read, and lead.  I played the guitar and smiled, but said not one word.  The service went along well, with the congregants smiling at the novelty of their rabbi remaining silent.  When it came to the blessings for the people who had the honor of coming up to the Torah, I so wanted to offer them a true blessing, but absolutely could not utter a sound.... so I mimed bringing down blessings flowing from heaven, pouring into the scroll of the Torah, and then carried them these blessings over to the couple and let the blessing flow over them.  Somehow they understood and accepted my gesture and did feel blessed!  A one-of -a kind service, for sure!  The heart communicates even if the mouth cannot.

No comments:

Post a Comment